Apple MacBook chargers suddenly stop working
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
npesquire
Labourer
Labourer

Apple MacBook chargers suddenly stop working

by npesquire » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:39 am

Hi, hope this is the right place to post this query.

We woke up today to find that all three of our MacBook Air chargers have stopped working. The electrics elsewhere are fine, though: all plugs, lights etc are in working order, and the consumer unit is in check.

My thinking is that it would be too strange a coincidence for all three chargers to break simultaneously, and I was wondering if it could be down to some kind of structural electronics fault in the flat? (As you can probably tell, I have no absolutely idea what I'm talking about.)

Thanks for taking the time out to read,

Nick

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Apple MacBook chargers suddenly stop working

by Mr White » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:10 pm

You may have had a surge / spike.
My guess would be it was from an external source. (Unless you have had anything new?)
Have you tried all your other electronic devices, do they work?

npesquire
Labourer
Labourer

by npesquire » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:26 pm

Hey, thanks for your reply. All other devices are charging/powering up fine. The only items that have been impacted are all three iMac charger cables. Could a surge/spike have such a localised impact?

These are the 45W cables, if that helps at all: https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/M ... 5%252B45d4

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:38 am

Since they are all the same, they were all affected by the same thing, so to answer your question, yes.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:33 pm

Have to agree with @Mr White and find this interesting, in the electrical trade we have been told we should fit SPD in the consumer units, but this is the first report I have seen where one could blame the lack of the SPD for the failures.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:51 am