Aqualisa Shower Wiring From Fused Spur off of Lighting Circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tizer
Labourer
Labourer

Aqualisa Shower Wiring From Fused Spur off of Lighting Circuit

Post by Tizer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:48 am

Hey peeps,

Looking to wire up a 3amp fused spur off my lighting circuit to power a new Aqualisa Shower.

https://www.aqualisa.co.uk/Aqualisa/med ... -guide.pdf

(Page 11 giving details)

I was going to grab one of these: https://socketstore.co.uk/products/sock ... te-inserts

They go with the rest of the sockets I have, planned to punch it into the wall above the en-suite door and wire upwards into the loft.

However, I stopped short on ordering with the lack of "double pole" in the description. Any recommendations or alternative methods or is my plan sounding ok? I don't really go much on the pull cords in the ceiling, feels like old peoples home decor :-)

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Aqualisa Shower Wiring From Fused Spur off of Lighting Circuit

Post by Mr White » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:31 pm

At first glance it looks like you want to run an electric shower from the lighting circuit.
You actually want to run a pump from a lighting circuit.
Technically you can run a shower pump from a lighting circuit, but I would not recommend it.
When a pump starts it draws a lot of current, this current may be enough to trip the lighting MCB. Also at night when the lights are on 3A (for the pump) may be "just too much" for the lighting MCB again causing it to trip. Lighting is often protected by a 6A MCB

I would connect your pump to the ring main if you want less / no grief.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:45 pm

Not good practise supplying shower pump from lighting circuit, but I cannot see any danger with it, Providing the load/demand on the lighting allows this, without causing overloads and trips.

What must be done, is that all newly installed equipment and circuits entering the bathroom, are RCD protected.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:47 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]Not good practise supplying shower pump from lighting circuit, but I cannot see any danger with it, Providing the load/demand on the lighting allows this, without causing overloads and trips.
But it would be recommended that the manufacturers instruction are also looked at.

What must be done, is that all newly installed equipment and circuits entering the bathroom, are RCD protected.[/quote]

Tizer
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Tizer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:21 pm

cheers for heads up, electrician coming out on Friday.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:03 am