Are British Gas ripping me off?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diybumble
Labourer
Labourer

Are British Gas ripping me off?

by diybumble » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:00 pm

British gas want £4,000 to replace my existing old combination boiler.

The work involves new ideal Isar 35HE condensing combi, relocation from internal to external wall with high level flue. New 22mm gas feed from main, rerouting of 22mm CH flow/return pipes to upstairs/downstairs t-point. Wireless programmable therm. Power flush, condensate routing and fitting scale filter. Includes 1 year cover.

Work does not include fitting TRVs or radiators.

I live in Reading and went with them because I had an local quote of £3,700 so seemed reasonable, but the more a chat to ppl the more I think they are over charging me :(

Thanks,

Dave

varela
Apprentice
Apprentice

by varela » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Beware of BG: I have been with them since 1979, when they installed a top of the range CH and HW system with a lifetime guarantee and three star home care service; everything covered - cold water pipes included. Since they became Centrica they have changed the policy: too many exclusions in small print that you do not notice. But the worst is that I feel threatened by the engineers each time they come to dust the boiler: they have been trying to find fault everytime, trying to convince me I need a new boiler. The last straw was in May/ June when suddenly I stopped having hot water unless the CH was on at the same time at 20 degrees. They diagnosed a blockage and recomended power flushing the system at a cost of near £700, which was not covered by my contract - and without guarantee - i.e. the system could collapse and then I would be forced to install a new boiler - through them - as they consider the contract invalid if there is 'third party interference'. I was left in the cold for nearly two months, because I complained and requested the visit of s supervisor. As I learnt in the meantime that this method of clearing blockages could destroy an old boiler I sought independent advice. You can read the whole story in this forum. The independant plumber & CH engineer said there was no blocage at all and in half an hour I had hot water and CH again. Regarding a new system, I strongly advice you to get several estimates before entrusting BG.
Good luck.

diybumble
Labourer
Labourer

by diybumble » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:25 pm

It's swings and roundabouts really.....for each 2 people I chat to about BG one is really happy with the service they got and the other...well not so happy.

What I really wanted was a estimate of what the work above should cost me from an independant installer. I looked at the Which report that stated a similar level of work would cost from £1500 to £1800. I assume this is labour costs and is on top of the materials, boiler and compenents required to do the job (since they said £250 for straight boiler swap) so.....approx £3000 taking boiler at about £900.

Now, I have already paid the 10% deposit so if I cancelled the contract now with BG I will lose £400. If this work should actually cost more like £2000 then it would be worth my while cancelling. If it is £3000 or so then it is simply less hassel for me to leave it to BG since its all planned in etc and just put it down to a lesson learnt :(

At least BG provide a full quote and not an estimate so any extra work on the day is covered in the price.

I would appreciate any indication of what independant installers would charge for this work.

Thanks

Dave

diybumble
Labourer
Labourer

by diybumble » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:39 pm

It's swings and roundabouts really.....for each 2 people I chat to about BG one is really happy with the service they got and the other...well not so happy.

What I really wanted was a estimate of what the work above should cost me from an independant installer. I looked at the Which report that stated a similar level of work would cost from £1500 to £1800. I assume this is labour costs and is on top of the materials, boiler and compenents required to do the job (since they said £250 for straight boiler swap) so.....approx £3000 taking boiler at about £900.

Now, I have already paid the 10% deposit so if I cancelled the contract now with BG I will lose £400. If this work should actually cost more like £2000 then it would be worth my while cancelling. If it is £3000 or so then it is simply less hassel for me to leave it to BG since its all planned in etc and just put it down to a lesson learnt :(

At least BG provide a full quote and not an estimate so any extra work on the day is covered in the price.

I would appreciate any indication of what independant installers would charge for this work.

Thanks

Dave

corkee
Apprentice
Apprentice

by corkee » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:04 pm

Check your contract, but I think you may have a 30 day cooling off (!) period within which to cancel and get your deposit back - bit like double glazing etc.

Sure you'll find an independent would charge say £1500-£2000?

Best of luck....

GeckoGas
Tradesman
Tradesman

by GeckoGas » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:37 am

As an ex-BG now independant; I would just like to say that it's impossible to provide an accurate quote without seeing the job.

BG is expensive - However; you get the guarantee that you know where they are should problems arrise with the actual installation...

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:32 am

I personaly would not give an Ideal boiler house space, they are very expensive for spare parts, you only get a 1 year warranty (what does that tell you) and are only fitted by British Gas because they get a huge discount from Ideal. Check out Alpha, Baxi, Viessmann and many more who give up to a 5 year parts & labour warranty, with Viessmann giving a whoping 10 year warranty on the heat exchanger. On the subject of heat exchangers Ideal use cast aluminiumn to manufacture there heat exchanger which condensate from the condensing boiler just loves to eat through, but the others I've mentioned use stainless steel which is much more resistant to this type of damage. However it's up to you.

pepsi
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pepsi » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:20 pm

Your BG installer should be corgi registered and have his part building regs so he can register the job with corgi and in turn with building control and that means minimum requirement is trvs in at least the bedrooms your rep probably dosent know what he is talking about. I would not fit an istar its what they fit on that warmfront scheme for old biddies for nowt get some more local quotes and ask them if you will get a cert DIRECT from corgi ask to see his corgi card and look at the back of it to see what he is qualified to do also it should say energy conservation on the back do the same if your BG fitter turns up. You will need this for your hibs all the paperwork that is
TRVS and stats along with condensing boilers have been law since April 2005

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1