Area of peeling paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Phil66
Labourer
Labourer

Area of peeling paint

by Phil66 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Ello all,

After trying about 10 tester colours we decided on one (our old favourite) and bought the paint. It's an emulsion that we used for the whole downstairs so we know it covers just fine.

We removed all of the old wallpaper which has been on for around 15 years, and I rubbed down one entire wall. I started to roller and one area started to peel as the roller went over it, it was as though the magnolia wash that the builders put on was coming off. I let it dry and rubbed it a bit harder in that area, when I rollered over it the next day whole pieces of paint came off back to the bare plaster. This is just in an area of random shape about 2'x18". I'm worried about the rest of the walls now.

I've never done this before and I was expecting it to be simple :roll:

What should I do now?

Cheers

Phil

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi, did you wash all the paste off before starting to paint, if not this could be the cause. Another thing it could be is that the builders put the first coat on the walls too thickly without putting on a mist coat first. It sounds like it could be the second one to me. If a mist coat is not put on the paint will not adhere properly to the new plaster and may peel when new paint is put on. The best way of stopping this happening is to get off all the old paint that will come off and start again or put up some lining paper first then paint over that.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:30 am