Aromured cable in garage
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
solomos68
Labourer
Labourer

Aromured cable in garage

by solomos68 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:52 pm

I have an armoured cable running to my garage which has 4 wires, red, blue, yellow and black and am fitting a new consumer unit.
I've connected red to phase, yellow to cpc and black to neutral and it works fine but what is the blue wire, it was not connected to any terminals in the old unit. Is it safe to simply block it off.

Any advice appreciated.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Aromured cable in garage

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:51 am

[quote="solomos68"]I have an armoured cable running to my garage which has 4 wires, red, blue, yellow and black and am fitting a new consumer unit.
I've connected red to phase, yellow to cpc and black to neutral and it works fine but what is the blue wire, it was not connected to any terminals in the old unit. Is it safe to simply block it off.

Any advice appreciated.[/quote]

SOLOMOS68
WHERE THE ARMOURED ORINGINATES FROM YOUR SUPPLY
IN THE HOUSE . WE R ASSUMING THAT RED IS CONNECTED TO A PROTECTIVE DEVICE IN THE PHASE SIDE OF THE SUPPLY, THE BLACK
CORE IS CONNECTED TO THE NEUTRAL BAR IN THE MAINS BOARD
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THE YELLOW CORE IS CONNECTED TO THE MAIN EARTH TERMINAL OF THE HOUSE MAINS BOARD, ACTING AS C.P.C
FOR THIS SUB MAIN CIRCUIT TO THE GARAGE.
THE BLUE CORE AT THE HOUSE MAINS BOARD END SHOULD BE TERMINAL BLOCKED AND TAPED UP.
AT THE NEW CONSUMER UNIT IN THE GARAGE THE RED WOULD BE PHASE, THE BLACK WOULD BE NEUTRAL AND THE YELLOW, WHICH SHOULD BE MARKED AT BOTH ENDS WITH GREEN AND YELLOW TAPE
WILL BE THE C.P.C / EARTHING CONDUCTOR TO BE CONNECTED INTO THE EARTHIN TERMINAL OF THE GARAGE CONSUMER UNIT.
HOWEVER THIS INSTALLATION BY YOURSLEF SHOULD BE CHECKED AND CARRIED OUT BY A REGISTERED ELECTRCIAN, AND INSPECTED AND TESTED BY HIM BEFORE BEING PUT INTO SERVICE
LASTLY THE BLUE CORE AT THE GARAGE END OF THE CONSUMER UNIT
SHOULD BE TERMINAL BLOCKED AND TAPED UP.

BLAKEY 1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:49 am