Asbestos Confirmed in Artex or Plasterboard in Kitchen
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Notsurewheretostart
Labourer
Labourer

Asbestos Confirmed in Artex or Plasterboard in Kitchen

Post by Notsurewheretostart » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi,

I have bought a property built in the 1960's, which has Artex in most of the rooms. I can live with it on the ceilings in the living room and bedrooms, but it also has it in the kitchen, which makes it impossible to clean.

The Artex there has been painted over, and I was about to remove it, but decided to have it tested for asbestos using a DIY kit. It came back positive for chrysotile. The part that I sent for testing was on a section where the underlying plasterboard had been removed (where the main water stopcock comes into the kitchen). As the plasterboard has been damaged, the white filling is very loose. I also put some of the plasterboard and filling in the sample, so I am not sure if it is the Artex or the plasterboard that contain the asbestos, or both.

I want to remove the Artex and replace the plasterboard, and wonder if this could be a DIY possibility, assuming I use the correct protective overalls and respirator.

I have attached a couple of photos, as I have been trying to identify whether it is definitely plasterboard that is lining the walls. Could anybody help me identify the type of board from the cross section picture?

Would you recommend tackling this myself or will it require professionals?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Asbestos Confirmed in Artex or Plasterboard in Kitchen

Post by welsh brickie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:21 pm

you could plaster it , or cover it with new plasterboard instead

Notsurewheretostart
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Asbestos Confirmed in Artex or Plasterboard in Kitchen

Post by Notsurewheretostart » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Will that not just cause me problems in the future if I ever want to sell? There is a record now that the lab found asbestos in that location (kitchen Artex), at that address. Would really prefer to remove it, if it is an option. I am tempted to try the X-Tex stuff I have seen advertised. Is it any good?

Thanks again,

Sarah

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:29 pm