Asbestos tile advice for tiles found under vinyl floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fecormack
Labourer
Labourer

Asbestos tile advice for tiles found under vinyl floor

by fecormack » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:02 am

Hi all,

My partner and I have recently moved into our first home. It didn't take long for me to get stuck into the renovations.
This morning I began to cut up the vinyl floor in my first "project" room. Expecting some kind of underlay underneath, I was instead greeted by tiles.
I began to pry them off, before realising that it might not be a good idea. A Google search later indicated that this was probably for the best, as they appear to be asbestos tiles. This isn't too surprising given that the house was built in the 70s, however does somewhat change my plans.
Initially I was planning on laying electric underfloor heating with tiles over the top. This is still my plan, but first I need to address the asbestos tile problem. How can I best encapsulate it?
Does anyone have any experience with this?
I've read that an epoxy SLC might do the job, is this the case and would a latex SLC do the same thing?
I plan on laying insulation boards on top of the floor anyway, so the additional layers should (in theory) give the asbestos enough protection from being disturbed.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Asbestos tile advice for tiles found under vinyl floor

by stoneyboy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:18 am

Hi fecormack
Assuming you are not going to start cutting/drilling/breaking the tile surface there should not be any need to encapsulate the floor. Lay the insulation direct on them as your starting layer.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm