Assistance with stripping and waxing original 1930s skirting boards
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

Paul_L18
Labourer
Labourer

Assistance with stripping and waxing original 1930s skirting boards

by Paul_L18 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:39 pm

Hi, first time poster here!

Just moved into a 1930s semi. Needs a lot of work doing to it, mostly cosmetic thankfully.

In the lounge there is what looks like orignal skirting boards.They have many layers of gloss paint and looked like the pre strart photo (ok, i'd stripped the first few inches).

Pre start skirting board
Pre start skirting board

I've now stripped all the paint off with a heat gun. The finished stripping photo is pretty representative of how they've come out.

Finished stripping
Finished stripping

I was quite pleased with the interim result, thinking they'd sand down well and then i could wax or stain them, but not paint.

I've started sanding using a 1000W Mouse type sander using the generic sanding sheets that came with the sander and apart from smoothing it down it's not had much if any effect on the appearance. Certainly not removing any of the paint residue. There's quite a few marks from the paint stripper which i thought would sand out but sadly no.

I'm loathed to just paint them again, but not sure what the best steps are to achieve a finish that gets the best out the wood. Maybe i need a beefier sander, different sheets, perseveer or remove them and get them professionally done?

Any ideas appreciated.

Paul

It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:54 am