DIY Doctor

Main navigation

At what stage inspection for Part P

Postby cookie676 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:06 am


Firstly sorry for the bad grammar in the subject.

I have looked through a lot of info on this site but I can not find an answer to this specific question.

I understand that basically I can install electrics as long as I have it tested and certified.

At what stage do I need to have things inspected to gain a Part P certificate? ie before plastering? before conection?

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:00 am


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi you must pay fee to bldg control before starting any work, they then will come in and look at wiring once installed before plastering over and while routes still visible, then they return when job finished to check correct connections of accessories, they will not issue any electrical certs or carry out any tests. If you want certs. for your future use eg @ sale of house it's up to you to pay a contractor to do a periodic inspection for you.
Bldg control can't insist on it, [an electrician can't issue a completion cert for work not done personally by himself]. Nor can he register work with building control for PART-P unless he did the work.
regards SPARX
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Postby ericmark » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:35 pm

As Sparx has pointed out Part P and Electrical installation certificates are two different things. Although they can be connected in that building control can ask for the Electrical installation certificates. (They did with me) Also it is up to them when if at all they visit the site. With me they never sent anyone electrical to visit. In an emergency you can do the work first then tell them. For example a smashed socket in a kitchen which if not replaced would present a danger. Any other work you tell them before you start and they will say at what stages they want to visit if any. As to what requires Part P you really need to follow links and read the document yourself. It was suppose to protect the house holder they did same in New Zealand then when more people got injured through using extension leads etc than did by bad wiring. They saw the error of their ways and repealed it. It does not protect from rouge trades of course as they will never tell their victims they need Part P and it is the householder who is responsible not the rouge trader.
As far as having it tested and certified only the person in charge of the work can do that. There are three parts.
1. The designer
2. The installer
3. The tester
Although someone can test it for you they can’t sign the first two. And the person signing the first two must have the skills required. So if an electrician for example has an apprentice and he tells the apprentice what to do and checks his work as he does it. Then he could sign the first two, but if he just told the apprentice to get on with it and checked at the end he could not sign first two.
Getting an electrician to sub contract yourself to do work he gives you to do could work but most electricians have tried that in the past and basically householders will not do as they are told on their own house so now nearly impossible to find anyone who will do it.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics