Attach a ceiling light correctly so the dimmer switch works
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gabsta
Labourer
Labourer

Attach a ceiling light correctly so the dimmer switch works

by gabsta » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:27 am

Hi, I have bought a 6 way light and want to attach it to the ceiling. The light came with 3 wires (live, neutral and earth) so i thought this would be quite easy, however, when i removed the previous fixure from the ceiling, it turns out there are 2 sets of 3 wires (2 live, 2 neutral and 2 earth)

I have asked some people and they advised me I need to to get a choc box and connect the wires in a specific order, to ensure the light will come off and on and dim.

I have been trying now for a day and have only managed to get the light to come on fully and not be able to turn off. Can anyone assist me on how this should be correctly connected or point me in the direction of a guide?

Thanks in advanced

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:01 pm

One of the cables in the ceiling is the end of the lighting circuit. (If it were not there would be another cable going on to the next fitting). The other is your switch cable.

Look in the projects section - gives you details of wiring a ceiling light: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/ceilingrose.htm

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:10 pm