Attaching an Awning to a 20cm insulated wall
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
seeb
Labourer
Labourer

Attaching an Awning to a 20cm insulated wall

by seeb » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Dear all,
First timer here, really impressed with the wealth of knowledge here and hopefully someone can help me too. I have basic DIY knowledge and have been experimenting/learning on my own house since 2016.

We live in an old house that has 20cm exterior polystyrene insulation all around it. We're doing up our terrace this summer and want to attach an awing to the wall but as you can guess, we can't attach anything to the insulation.

I'm thinking of going to a local blacksmith and getting 20.5cm spacers made out of stainless steel (5mm thick) that will act as a bridge between the brick wall and the awning's brackets. I'm thinking to design the spacer as a plus sign wedged between two flat plates. One flat side will be bolted to the wall using M10x110mm anchor bolts and the awning's brackets will be bolted to the other end of the spacer.

Do you think this will work, shall I go for thicker steel? Is there a better way of doing this?

Awning 1: 9m wide and 400kg and will have 6x brackets
Awning 2: 4m wide and 100 kg and will have 2x brackets

Thank you all for your help!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Attaching an Awning to a 20cm insulated wall

by stoneyboy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:43 pm

Hi seeb,
Wow that is some thickness of insulation - in English that is around 8".
Suggest you use a freestanding framework against the wall to support your awning.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:14 am