Attaching fixture to ceramic wash basin pedestal - possible?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hesodevoutone
Labourer
Labourer

Attaching fixture to ceramic wash basin pedestal - possible?

by hesodevoutone » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:01 pm

I want to attach a quirky toilet roll holder to about the midway point of a ceramic wash basin pedestal. I know, it would be simpler to attach to a wall, but this is an 'arty' project. I have bought the item i want to attach. See instructions with item on link below:

Google "alessi.com/content/products/3402.en.pdf"

It comes with a bracket and 2 screws so i will need to drill through ceramic. Is this possible?

As the pedestal is curved I will also need to put something behind the fixture to level it. Any suggestions?

I am a 'beginner' DIY enthusiast - so i would appreciate very clear advice. Assume no knowledge.

I hope this isn't a crazy idea? Many thanks for reading this

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Attaching fixture to ceramic wash basin pedestal - possi

by rosebery » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:49 pm

"It comes with a bracket and 2 screws so i will need to drill through ceramic. Is this possible?"

You can drill through a ceramic tile using the appropriate tile bit because the tile is fully supported. Drilling a ceremic pedestal is a different matter entirely and you run the very real risk of cracking it or breaking it.

"As the pedestal is curved I will also need to put something behind the fixture to level it. Any suggestions?"

Whatever you do you'll end up with a loose holder in time and the streese and strains you put on the ceramic will open up even the smalest of hairline cracks you created when you drilled it - the holder its designed to fit flush to the surface.

"I am a 'beginner' DIY enthusiast - so i would appreciate very clear advice. Assume no knowledge. I hope this isn't a crazy idea? Many thanks for reading this"

IMHO the idea is exactly what you want the holder to be - totally and utterly off the wall!

Cheers

hesodevoutone
Labourer
Labourer

by hesodevoutone » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:00 am

Hi Rosebery, thanks for the prompt reply and the reality check!

Your honesty made me laugh out loud!

Think I'll postpone my arty dreams and fix it to the wall.

Thanks again and happy christmas

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:07 pm