Attempting to change the outdoor flood light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mousehound
Labourer
Labourer

Attempting to change the outdoor flood light

by Mousehound » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:29 am

Hi guys,

I'm attempting to change the flood light on the back of my house I have purchased this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085HGXMKJ/ ... UTF8&psc=1

I have taken down the old one which had three wires and put them into a new junction box on the other end the new light only has 2 wires so I have connected them to the other side of the junction box.

Don't seem to have any power to the light. Have I done this correctly?

https://ibb.co/pfYd1V0

Thanks in advance

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Attempting to change the outdoor flood light

by Mr White » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:38 pm

Nice clear and in focus picture.

The wires appear to be connected right, but you do have too much copper showing on the red wire. I would check the connections with the mains off first.

I would also check the instructions of the new light, as often they have a daylight sensor, which means it will not work in daylight.
I would also ask is/was the light controlled by a switch or fused connection unit, I am wondering has the fuse blown.

If you still have no joy, take the light down and fit a 13A Plug to it, and plug it in, and switch on, if after altering any "controls" it has it still does not work, try another socket, if still no joy send it back.

If it does work, put it back outside, and switch on the mains and see what happens.

Mousehound
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Attempting to change the outdoor flood light

by Mousehound » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:12 pm

Thank you for your reply, I have managed to sort it. The problem was that I had put the red cable in the middle which was marked as earth I changed it to the one at the end and it started working :) thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:05 am