Attic extension brick and block redo advice
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DNJohnston
Apprentice
Apprentice

Attic extension brick and block redo advice

Post by DNJohnston » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:58 am

Hi all,

Another Covid have-a-go hero here, new to the forum. Hoping i can be of some use in the acoustics & sound department, but today i'm coming to you for advice on brick and block.

The situation:

The previous landlords built a room in the roof. The walls are 1 party wall (brickwork) and 1 external (blockwork). Because these walls were build not to be seen they are roughly finished with gaps in the mortar and smeared snots all over the faces. We would like to tidy up the mortar and paint the block (we will leave the brickwork of course, we're London hipster idiots!)

Some of the mortar needs 'stripping back', some of it needs refilling. We are not too fussed about the look being perfect, but we would like it not to flake and gather muck as it does at the moment.

I am not against trying my hand at a bit of re-pointing if that is the consensus, but if i can get away with 'sanding back' (or whatever the equivalent is) and refilling small areas then I will do that. I have uploaded some pics.

What do you think? Just brush it down and paint over it, or get a bit more involved?

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Attic extension brick and block redo advice

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi dnjohnston,
You are never going to end up with a perfect wall so suggest you scrape back excess mortar to a reasonably flat surface and fill any major hollows with a mortar mix. Don't forget to wet the hollows before you fill them - a small pump up garden sprayer is ideal for this.
Regards S

DNJohnston
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DNJohnston » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:26 am

stoneyboy wrote:Hi dnjohnston,
You are never going to end up with a perfect wall so suggest you scrape back excess mortar to a reasonably flat surface and fill any major hollows with a mortar mix. Don't forget to wet the hollows before you fill them - a small pump up garden sprayer is ideal for this.
Regards S

Thanks Stoneyboy! So just scrape it off with a trowel, brush down and then refill with any kind of shop-bought mortar mix? Would one type be suitable for both brick and block? I guess mortar is mortar in this case?

Thanks for the tip re:wetting down, i almost certainly would've forgotten this step!

One last thing - After re-filling, presumably i just need to bosh as much paint on as possible, i imagine the blocks will be quite thirsty? Again, i'm not after pristine, but any recommendations for paints to / not to use?

Thanks again

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:10 pm

Hi dnjohnston,
Premixed stuff is too strong, buy some building sand yellow/orange and a small bag of cement, mix 5 of sand to 1 of cement and add water for a useable mix.
May be worth spraying the first primer coat on using your pump up sprayer. Use well watered down emulsion, spraying will get in all the nooks and crannies.
Regards S

DNJohnston
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DNJohnston » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks Stoneyboy, that's my weekend sorted!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:48 pm