AWFUL SMELL FROM HOTPOINT WT960 ULTIMA WASHING MACHINE!
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ccullen
Apprentice
Apprentice

AWFUL SMELL FROM HOTPOINT WT960 ULTIMA WASHING MACHINE!

by ccullen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:17 am

I have a problem with an awful smell coming from inside the drum of my washing machine. A new trap was installed but the smell is still there, and I can't leave washing on a 'rinse hold' programme because of the smell. Drains, etc have been checked and there is no blockage. There is no smell from the sink drain. If I don't use the machine for a couple of days the smell is terrible. I've also used Domestos (just a small amount) to do a rinse/wash cycle. PLEASE... does anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing this awful smell?!! Thank you.

fredanddeb
Labourer
Labourer

hotpoint wt960 smell

by fredanddeb » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:53 am

I was wondering if you had found a solution to the problem as my wt960 has just started dong the same thing, we have also emptied and cleaned the trap to no avail.
Thanks

ccullen
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ccullen » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:26 pm

Thank you for replying to my question. However, I've not really found the answer to this ongoing problem. I know I shouldn't have to do this, but I used about half a teacup of Domestos Bleach and did a 'wash' for about 1 hour. I now leave the door open slightly after each wash. The smell is still there, but not quite as bad. I complained to Hotpoint regarding this, but each time an engineer called he said he could smell something, but wasn't sure. He left me a powder product to use to clean the inside of the machine, but this didn't make any difference. I complained many times to Hotpoint, even asking for a refund but they were not forthcoming; they did however give me an extra one year's warranty which is now up! So all in all, I've had this horrible smell for two year's now, ever since I purchased the appliance. Oh, and another thing, I can't leave washing in the machine once the programme is finished because the clothes then smell. I've never had this problem before with any washing machine, but this is the first 'cold water' one I've had - my other machines were hot and cold fill, and I didn't have this problem. I wonder if it has anything to do with the cold water supply!!! I'm clutching at straws now! Hope you find a solution, if you do, drop me a line, and good luck!

fredanddeb
Labourer
Labourer

by fredanddeb » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:50 pm

Thanks for your time, and I will certainly get in touch if I find a solution.

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:53 pm

I expect by now you will have solved your problem but as I've only just read of your dilema I thought I'd reply just in case you are still suffering. We had precisely the same problem a year ago. When an engineer visited he had to remove the pump and all the rubber pipes and gaiters from underneath the drum and clean them all. They were all choked up with a white paste-like residue that stunk terribly. It turned out that the cheap-o powder we'd been using does not dissolve properly when used in cold fill machines. We were told to use a better quality powder and once a month put a large handful of soda crystals in the drum and run a hottest wash cycle BUT WITHOUT ANY WASHING IN THE DRUM. I have to say that this procedure has cured our problem completely. Also, whenever you don't use the machine for more than a day or two, leave the drum door ajar to provide a bit of ventilation.

ccullen
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ccullen » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:10 am

[quote="Dadwood"]I expect by now you will have solved your problem but as I've only just read of your dilema I thought I'd reply just in case you are still suffering. We had precisely the same problem a year ago. When an engineer visited he had to remove the pump and all the rubber pipes and gaiters from underneath the drum and clean them all. They were all choked up with a white paste-like residue that stunk terribly. It turned out that the cheap-o powder we'd been using does not dissolve properly when used in cold fill machines. We were told to use a better quality powder and once a month put a large handful of soda crystals in the drum and run a hottest wash cycle BUT WITHOUT ANY WASHING IN THE DRUM. I have to say that this procedure has cured our problem completely. Also, whenever you don't use the machine for more than a day or two, leave the drum door ajar to provide a bit of ventilation.[/quote]

Thanks very much for contacting me, and I'm glad to know it's not just me that's had this problem! I'll give your advice a try. And I think I'll get an engineer to call also, to see if the pipes, etc do need a clean - but it sounds like they do. Thanks again.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:01 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

thedoctor

Re: AWFUL SMELL FROM HOTPOINT WT960 ULTIMA WASHING MACHINE!

by thedoctor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:13 am

All sorts of washing machine problems unravelled here people https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/wa ... oblems.htm

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:27 pm