All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
willy-wonka
Labourer
Labourer

back boiler

Post by willy-wonka » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi,

We have an immersion (sp?) tank to heat our hot water, this is activated by a switch.. no timer. There is an old back boiler behind the fireplace which isnt used (not used since we moved in) the previous owners told me it had been disconnected. . now im in the process of fitting my wood burner and when i tried to remove the back boiler i was covered in water!! .. yes amusing..

i thought.. ok.. let the boiler drain, so i emptied it and to be safe i sealed the pipe again and waited 24 hrs, yep.. it had filled up again... now its obviously still connected a water feed supply... (ill get to the point in a minute!) how can i go about disconnecting it from the water feed, or if its a case best left to a plumber, are there any plumbers out there who could give me an indication of cost, so when i get someone around i know roughly what to expect. (all id want a plumber to do is disconect and cap pipe, id remove boiler etc)

cheers! story over

johnb
Ganger
Ganger

Post by johnb » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:58 am

hi willy if you have an indirect cylinder [ ie has two pipes on side 1" diameter with two pipes teed off going to roof ]then you need to remove small tank in roof completely and seal off 1" pipes, if you do not have the two smaller pipes teed into 1" pipes then you only need to seal the 1" pipes all the best john

willy-wonka
Labourer
Labourer

Post by willy-wonka » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:40 pm

HI, ive had a plumber around who disconnected the tank (that feeds the back boiler) in the loft. He explined how the two pipes you could see on the right hand side of the back boiler worked and assured me that after i drain it i can cut the pipes and remove the back boiler.. since then after removing some more bricks ive noticed two more pipes on the left hand side of the back boiler, where do these go? and am i still ok to cut the pipes? (as plumber only seen two pipes previously and now theres 4)

*takes a beath*

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and can help.

johnb
Ganger
Ganger

Post by johnb » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:16 pm

hi willy yes these went to the old central htg [rads] but you may still get water trapped in rads not too much but be prepared surely these have been removed all the best john

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:42 am