Back garden gate and concrete post problem
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
terry004
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back garden gate and concrete post problem

by terry004 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi Guys,
I have a problem with my back garden gate that needs to be replaced (see picture) the 3"x4" upright wooden post that the gate is attached to sits in the recess of a concrete post. The upright has now come off to reveal that whoever had the house before us had the post fastened with just rawl plugs and screws. The concrete fence post does not have any holes going all the way through to attach bolts. I don't really want to remove all the gravel boards, but I would if no alternative. Do you think it is possible to drill straight through the concrete post? I'm not sure as I believe they are strengthened with iron rods, any feedback would be much appreciated
Attachments
gate inside.jpg
gate outside.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Back garden gate and concrete post problem

by stoneyboy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Hi terry004
Yes you can drill through concrete posts but you will have to avoid reinforcing rods. How many will depend on the manufacturer. Suggest you limit yourself to a 7mm hole and use 6mm fixing bolts. You will need a fairly decent hammer drill to get through the concrete.
Regards S

terry004
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Back garden gate and concrete post problem

by terry004 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:13 am

Thanks for your help, will give it a go cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:53 pm