Back pointing falling off making loft hopeless for storage
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
worgraeme
Labourer
Labourer

by worgraeme » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi,

The tiles of my 1930s slate roof are held in with lime mortar. This is all falling off onto the stuff stored up there, irritating me and more importantly her in doors.

I've had a few quotes for foam insulation but am losing interest in it as so many roofers on this forum hate it.

The roof isn't leaking so would it be ok to staple some membrane over the top of the lime mortar keeping the muck hidden away.

Also what is the crack if i wanted to insulate between the rafters. Heard all sorts of bad things about condensation on the tiles.

Any help would be appreciated

xavi99
Ganger
Ganger

by xavi99 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:14 am

The foam spray stuff is great for prolonging the life of the roof. If the mortar is falling away is the roof nearing the end of its life? If you do not want to re roof then it is a good solution and is now a lot tidier than it used to be. However, it is harder / messier when it does come to recovering the roof.

You can fit insultation between the rafters, and because there is no sarking felt then the area above the insulation is ventilated anyway, you need to keep 50 mm clear.

To achieve near bg regs standard you will need (assuming 100 mm deep rafters), 50 mm fitted between rafters (leaving 50 mm space above) and then a sheet of about 70 mm below. The loft should then be warm and toastie rather than cold and dirty.

Altrnatively look up Tri Iso super 10 which is a thin multi layered foil which is easier to install. It is stapled to the rafters and you could od this yourself quite easily.

Hth,

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:02 pm