backed up itunes...
Help and advice on software, hardware, configuration and general computing issues and problems

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

backed up itunes...

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:13 am

hi folks,

hope someone can help - i recently bought an external hard drive to back up my home computer. rather sensible i thought.

tried to back up my music library which was partly successful, though instead of copying my library to the hard drive i instead moved it all across.

my itunes now does not work as it cannot find the files, even when the external drive is connected and up and running. i can click on the files and play via media player but it's a royal pain.

for some reason i can't copy the files back onto my pc hard drive. no idea why!

HEEELP!!!!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:38 pm

chris_on_tour2002,
If the music files won't copy back directly try copying them onto a usb stick and move them back into the correct itunes library on your computer. file location will be something like itunes/itunes music/music.
end

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:00 am

thanks stoneyboy, i will try that.

i've looked thru explorer and can't find the original file for itunes. do you think it would reappear if i uninstalled and reinstalled it?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:22 pm

chris_on_tour2002,
Don't uninstall and reinstall itunes, try copying your original itunes music folder back to the itunes music folder. Then try playing one of your tunes - you may have to redirect itunes to the file location.
end

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:47 am

well it seems that when i tried to copy the music library to the external drive i moved them instead, including the folders which is why itunes couldn't find it. managed to copy the files back onto my computer but itunes still couldn't find them.

so i did as you said and told itunes to look in a different location! bleedin' obvious now innit?

had already reinstalled itunes, i do it fairly often as it seems to stop functioning properly once a few updates have been installed.

now works fine except that it now won't recognise my iphone! cuh, solve one problem, inherit another.

thanks for the advice stoney, at least i can listen to my music again!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:19 am