Bad Condensation And Damp Problem
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bimboveloce
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bad Condensation And Damp Problem

by Bimboveloce » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi I hope somebody can help me with my problem.
I have a 3 bed semi mid 60's and suffer from very bad condensation in winter, mostly on the windows and pools of water on the sills, which are double glazed. I also suffer from mold on the curtains and in fitted wardrobes beside the window. The other 2 bedrooms suffer from condensation but not mold. I
I have had the gable wall cavity insulated a couple of years ago. We shower everyday and wet towels and robes hang on the doors to dry.
Have i got a damp problem? Ventilation issues, Cavity wall causing problems? Poor double glazing. What measures can i undertake to reduce the levels of condensation, I thought of a dehumidifier but i am concerned about the running cost and also think this is a sticking plaster and not the problem. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Tony

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:10 pm

Bimboveloce,
Almost certainly a problem of lack of ventilation. Your bathroom needs a good quality extractor with overrun timer and you need to use a de-humidifier to vastly reduce the damp levels. Open your windows on dry days even in the winter and if you can leave non-accessible ones on a night vent position.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:03 pm

"We shower everyday and wet towels and robes hang on the doors to dry."

Theres a significant contribution to your problem. You need ventilation!

Cheers

Bimboveloce
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bimboveloce » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:41 am

Firstly thank you for taking the time to reply.

From your replies you are suggesting the issues are lack of ventilation and damp wasking/towels.

My family all live in "new" homes and dont suffer condensation issues and they are all insulated, double glazed etc hwo come?

How can i increase ventilation without having the windows open on cold nights (the missus), Get wet clothes dry without generating more moisture into the house?

Is a dehumidifier worth the investment and do they cost a lot to run? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:36 pm

Bimboveloce,
How can i increase ventilation without having the windows open on cold nights - fit an extractor in the bathroom and kitchen.
Get wet clothes dry without generating more moisture into the house? - buy a tumble drier and vent to outside.
Is a dehumidifier worth the investment and do they cost a lot to run? Ones which reheat the air are costly to run, about the same as a 1kW fan heater.
end

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am