Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nichola
Labourer
Labourer

Bad smell in kitchen when washing

by Nichola » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:38 am

Hi, advice needed pls.
Everytime i do my washing, there is a really bad rotten smell in the kitchen. Its also making my clothes smell. I thought at first it may have been my washer, so i gave it away and bought a new one. However, the bad smell is still there. Im at a loss and my landlord isnt doing anything about it. Ive tried working it out and also emptied the trap on the boiler, but its still there. It also makes a bubbling sound in the plug hole when washing. Please can anyone help? Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bad smell in kitchen when washing

by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:55 pm

Hi nichola,
The most likely cause is foul air from the drainage system getting past the traps - you mention bubbling in the plug hole. You do not say how the waste on your washing machine is connected - if it goes into a standpipe this may be partly blocked remove it and clean it out. The same applies if it is connected into the trap under your sink but here it is probably easiest to fit an identical new trap.
Regards S

Nichola
Labourer
Labourer

by Nichola » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:01 am

Thank you.
The pipes under the sink i have cleaned out. The single pipe from the washer is brand new. The grid outside sometimes smells though. And theres a pipe running right underneath the kitchen cupboard that i cant access unless i take the cupboard out, and i dont even know what its for. Wondering if that maybe the cause?.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:31 pm

Hi Nichola,
Thanks for the further details.
What happens to the pipe from the washer - does it go into the trap under the sink or does it go into the top of a standpipe? Also is there an overflow on the kitchen sink? If yes where does this go?
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 pm