Balancing Radiators
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
agh55
Apprentice
Apprentice

Balancing Radiators

by agh55 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:34 am

Hi, I’m looking help and advice on balancing radiators. I have just converted from oil to Gas and have a had a Worchester 8000 35KW Life installed. I have watched some YouTube Videos and I think I understand the process. However, I have some problems, I’m using a Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer which measures both Body and Surface. I’m starting at the closest radiator to the boiler and when I measure the temperature of radiator panel at the bottom it is 79 degrees C, at the top 75 degrees C. When I measure the temperature of the flow Copper Pipe going in the radiator it is 25 degrees C and the copper return is around 19 degrees C. When I measure the temperature where the panel joins the flow valve it is 79degrees C , where it leaves the panel to the return valve it is 70 degrees C. Why is there a difference on the copper pipe temperatures?

When I try to measure the temperature of a Chrome towel rail, both top and bottom with my thermometer it shows approx. 28 degrees C. Could it be the reflective surface of the copper pipes and the Chrome radiator? Should I invest in another thermometer, but I wouldn’t know which one to purchase. As this is in theory a one-off job, I don’t want to invest too much.

I would really appreciate help and advice.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Balancing Radiators

by stoneyboy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:11 pm

Hi agh55
You are experiencing the problem with infrared thermometers that the emissivity of the surface being measured varies.
If you want to be technical use a contact type thermometer.
Regards S

agh55
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Balancing Radiators

by agh55 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:09 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply, I'll purchase a contact thermometer

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1