Balcony/roof problem - rotted joists and neighbour not playing ball!
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
1stafford
Labourer
Labourer

Balcony/roof problem - rotted joists and neighbour not playing ball!

by 1stafford » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi, I am looking for some advice on a problem i have with my upstairs neighbours balcony / my bathroom ceiling. The balcony joists on one side have rotted and have dropped by 110mm, it is only the thickness of the roof that has jammed it in place preventing it from completely collapsing. Some of the panels to the balcony are also rotten

The problem we are having is that it is a flying freehold and the way i see it is that the roof is severed medially (cut in the middle) ie we are both responsible for the joists but are individually responsible for the 'skins' either side. His point of view is if he can't 'see' it, it is nothing to do with him. Either way it is his lack of maintenance that has caused the problem. I have offered to pay equal cost to replace the joists and as a neighbourly gesture do the donkey work in uplifting his decking and the current balcony covering including the marine ply take out the joists refit new joists and (the cost of the materials his) marine ply but the actual water tight covering should be done by a professional. I would supply and fit the insulation and the fibre board under the joists, and i have to say i think i am being generous.
I want to keep the solicitors out of this and i don't have buildings ins ( i have previously but whenever i made a claim always got fobbed off) , so the next best thing i can think off is to get some kind of 'report' on the state of the structure and what would be the best way to repair the balcony, i have tried once to get loss adjusters( on an unrelated incident) to come and do their thing, but all of them said they only work for insurance companies. Any suggestions ?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Balcony/roof problem - rotted joists and neighbour not playing ball!

by welsh brickie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:54 pm

you could contact building control at your local council and tell them its unsafe, ask for a report, you may have to pay.
If he wont pay and its obviously affecting your property then you will have to pay for the work and sue him in court for distress and damages

1stafford
Labourer
Labourer

by 1stafford » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply welsh brickie.
It looks like contacting building control, other than that that'll be it for now i just havn't got the money to pay for it to be done. I would still like to do this as neighbourly as possible.
Although i do know they are looking to move which might have a bearing on altering his stance, ie right him a letter stating it is his liability and as such we are in dispute. The intention being that he would have to tell any buyer that we are in dispute, making it difficult for him to sell at a price he would acheive if we were not. I'd rather not, but needs must.

On a different note, looking on the positive side, do you or anyone else have a recommendation for a tutorial on flat roofs (joists) used as balconies, i just want to read up on the subject to get an idea of how to plan and what to buy and how to fit .

1stafford
Labourer
Labourer

by 1stafford » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:42 am

Result.
He has agreed to pay for Materials and i do the work.

Now looking at EPDM. so will be searching this forum for info.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:24 pm

try a fibreglass roof its more hard wearing

1stafford
Labourer
Labourer

by 1stafford » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:54 pm

You just can't trust some people can you. He has only gone and moved out on friday. taped up his letter box so nothing can be posted through, and no fowarding address.
I can't tell you how flipping angry i am. It seems he only agreed to my offer of doing the work to buy time to move out. I know they were talking about renting it out, and i don't think they have sold it. i've sent an email and got no reply.

Building control officer here i come,
https://www.iwight.com/Residents/Enviro ... Structures

What a low life, now he is going to have to pay the full rate to have it fixed, my offer is withdrawn.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:35 am