Banging Noise in Loft but not From Central Heating
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Theresa64
Labourer
Labourer

Banging Noise in Loft but not From Central Heating

by Theresa64 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:02 pm

Don’t know if anyone can help me, but I am getting pretty desperate.we moved into our 1930’s bungalow with upper dormas last year, Recently we noticed banging noises in the house, and thought it was from the central heating system, then our water cylinder in loft started leaking, so we have now decided to replace the whole system and get a combo boiler. At the moment we have no central heating and the system has been completely drained. But yet the banging persists, I think we hear it more early morning and at night, but not really sure as there are random bangs during the day! I am completely terrified, my husband still says it’s pipe work, but how can that be when there is no water. Please can someone give us some advice, who would we get to look at this , thanks for your help

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Banging Noise in Loft but not From Central Heating

by chriscba » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:05 pm

have you asked your neighbours, it could be them banging

Theresa64
Labourer
Labourer

by Theresa64 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:39 pm

I’m in a detached house, so definitely not neighbours

jrterror
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jrterror » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:35 am

Hi
Can you take some photos of your roof and also of the inside of the loft?

Do you hear the banging regardless of whether conditions. i.e. when windy?

Could it be birds, on or perhaps in your roof space?

Is it actually a banging noise? Could it be described as a flapping sound? Not, birds but unfelt flapping

Just some thoughts

Photos would be really useful
Thanks

Theresa64
Labourer
Labourer

by Theresa64 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:40 pm

It happens mostly in the morning and evening will take photos of roof, but because there isa loft conversation it’s difficult to take pics of actual loft

Hugh Schkok
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Hugh Schkok » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:26 am

Yup! Easy Peasey lemon squeezy.

The problem you have described is an exact fit for the fault.

Go into your loft space and locate your heating and hot water pipes that may be there. Where they pass through any joists or trusses use a spray foam and pump foam into the space around the pipes until it oozes out. When all the pipes areas done, wait for an hour or so and then crank up your heating and when the pipes expand and you or they are automatically shut off or on check that they dont hop around like a startled rabbit. It only takes a squidgeonth of a millimetre to get the pipes banging.

Hope this helps,

Hugh

PS please, please, please be very careful when you go into the loft space you WILL go through the ceiling if you don't tread carefully catching your chin on a truss and it will snap your neck like a carrot. To prevent this from happening send your missus up instead and get her to take a cam so you can steer her around awarding points for all well done tasks. Any score over 10 ensures she's fed and watered that day any less you will have to lock her in the under stairs cupboard with water and a bucket. Explain to her that you don't make the rules you simply obey them. Just kidding! However ensure you have someone standing by so if you have an incident they can help out immediately. Lofts are NOT play rooms.

jrterror
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jrterror » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi
I did wonder if it was central heating pipes.
Our do it, it's right annoying. Well, it used to be.
Anyway,
However the message reads
". At the moment we have no central heating and the system has been completely drained. But yet the banging persists, I think we hear it more early morning and at night, but not really sure as there are random bangs during the day!"
So, I'm not convinced it's the central heating since it's not even got water in it. Haha

Silviethedog1
Labourer
Labourer

by Silviethedog1 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:55 am

Hi I was wondering if you had a decent answer to your problem
I have exactly the same problem from my loft conversion it’s driving me crazy and I can’t use the space have to sleep on the first floor and it still wakes me every night ☹️ It’s definitely not anything to do with water hammer
Any help would be appreciated
Many thanks
Jo

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:55 am