Basic Central Heating Opperating Principles

Postby surd100 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:51 pm

I'm sure the answers to this are well known but can't find them. Please tell me if I'm wrong to believe that:

1. in a simple basic domestic modern central heating system, the radiators are connected 'in series' ('daisy-chained'), saving much copper.

2. therefore the Individual radiator thermostats and, I think, balancing cocks must operate by routing only a proportion of the total hot water flow through the radiator into the radiator's 'radiating/(convecting)' part. ( I realise that needs a complicated cock design).

I notice that with the CH on, all thermostats set to max and all balance cocks screwed down, the radiators' feed and exit pipes are cold. Perhaps I've got the wrong picture of system operation. I'd be very glad for any further explanation. Thanks.
surd100
Progress to next rank:
26.3%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby collectors » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:59 am

For it to work, the ballance cocks must be all fully open & the TRV turned to full. The only time you turn down the ballance valves is when you find one of the rads not getting so warm. You then go to the rads that feel are the hotest & turn down the ballance valve buy about a 1/4 "So if its 8 full turns to shut the valve off, turn it 2 full turns off" to help push the water to the rads that are not so hot. This is only done after you have blead all the rads, starting with the highest on the system 1st, which is quite often the bathroom towel rail if fitted.
collectors
Progress to next rank:
74.7%

Postby surd100 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks very much for your reply, collectors, but I need to understand how it is possible to regulate or balance individual radiators which are connected as a chain, by simple valves only able to restrict the flow. Maybe I don't understand something about the valve actions - I'm wondering whether perhaps the valve designs allow some of the flow to 'bypass' the radiator?
surd100
Progress to next rank:
26.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!