Bath - leaking around plug outlet. How to replace or repair?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
123Batfink
Labourer
Labourer

Bath - leaking around plug outlet. How to replace or repair?

by 123Batfink » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:12 pm

Hello
Our bath is leaking and I'm pretty sure that water is getting under the metal surround where the plug goes. Is it possible to remove this or tighten it?
It looks as if there is a nut/bolt in the centre of the plug, and I was wondering whether unscrewing this would release the whole section. I can't access the underneath of the bath enough to see if it detaches from underneath. I've not been able to get the appropriate sized socket set (15mm) to unscrew this, so I thought I would post this before I went out and bought one.
Thanks in advance.

p.s. Aplogies if this posts twice. I wrote it earlier but it seems to have disappeared!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:03 pm

Yes the screw in the centre of the grill should be attached to the waste under the bath and consequently holds both in position. When you unscrew this you will need to be able to hold the waste from underneath to re-tighten it. However if the water is getting under this grill surround it should, via the hole in the bath, still drip down into the waste but the washer between the underside of the bath and the waste may be perished or twisted so its worth a look.

123Batfink
Labourer
Labourer

by 123Batfink » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:23 pm

Thank you so much TheDoctor!
I didn't understand what you meant when you said the water should still drip into the waste pipe, even if it was getting around the side, but having eventually unscrewed the drain I now see what you mean.
The seal underneath was clogged up with a combination of limescale and plumbers mate, which was why is was then leaking outside. All is fine now!
Thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:44 am