DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Bath Traps

Postby David Brown » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:04 pm

I am finishing off the plumbing of our bathroom in our loft conversion that the contracted plumber started. He has used a type of bath trap that I have not heard of before and am unable to find any examples via Google. The only way I can describe the 'valve' is that it looks like the outlet on a whoopee cushion. There is no u-bend, but it is mounted within a plastic cylinder horizontally (taking into account the fall of the waste pipe). Does any one have any experience of these? I would like to know if these require more regular maintenance (i.e. clearing) than traditional types of trap. The alternative I am considering is using a bottle trap, having first cut a hole in the subfloor to accomodate it between the joists. Any help/advice greatly appreciated. Cheers, David.
David Brown
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:19 am


Simply Build It

Postby plumbbob » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:09 pm

Generally, I use one of these as they do not require any damage being done to the floor. ... -Trap-40mm

The "whoopee cushion valve" description puts me in mind of a "Hepvo CV1" which is not a proper trap but just a one way valve designed to prevent sewer gasses escaping. Considering the price between one of those and a normal trap, I wonder why he intended to fit one???? Is there anything odd about the plumbing installation?
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:59 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics