Bathroom Bond or Board Help for Bathroom Refurb
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
illusoryduck
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Bond or Board Help for Bathroom Refurb

by illusoryduck » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi all, just ripped out my bathroom and took all the tiles off the walls. Whoever did the original tiling just dot and dabbed the adhesive on, so created a right mess. Now I've chiseled all the old adhesive off its also taken some of the plaster off the to brickwork. Would it be better to Bond the entire room or could I just get away with covering the old plaster and brickwork with moisture proof board?

Thanks

DocMartin
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Bathroom Bond or Board Help for Bathroom Refurb

by DocMartin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:21 am

I don't know that this is what you mean but I've used tile-backer board - it's cementitious particle board, waterproof. It goes onto wooden studs. You don't have to drill holes in it, just drive the special drywall-type screws through it and into the studs. So, I'm not sure how you were thinking of holding it onto your plaster/brickwork wall. The screws won't go into brick or plaster. You'd need rawlplugs surely and that would be a world of pain, you'd have to predrill each board with fixing holes, transfer across the position of the holes to the wall, then drill lots of holes in the wall and insert rawlplugs, then mount the board. Lot of work... very inefficient you're supposed to have fixings every 10-15cm along the studs on these boards.

Worse, these tilebacker boards get to line up at the joints between them by running the vertical joints between two board down a single stud. That way, since the stud is pretty flat and uniform, both boards have their surfaces flat and continuous. Imagine with no studs and a lumpy brick wall - you'd never get the joints between any boards to run flush with each other along their length.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:40 pm