bathroom electric help
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
masonst0rm
Labourer
Labourer

bathroom electric help

by masonst0rm » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:39 pm

having a zaccuzi bath and underfloor heating fitted but only power close by is a ring main socket, how can I get two feeds into the bathroom?

can this be done?

ring main socket
|
|
|
junction box
| |
| |
RCB fused spur RCB fused spur
(bath) (under floor heating)

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: bathroom electric help

by ericmark » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:45 am

The ring is primary designed to work equipment which is portable. We do use it for static equipment but our rule book says anything fixed over 2kW should have it's own dedicated supply.

Since you don't give the power requirements I don't know if you could use the final ring. If the load is within the limits then the normal would be to use a fused connection unit (FCU) to reduce the maximum power down to what a single 2.5mm cable can handle and then feed the items.

Where it exceeds the 2kW limit one has to consider the route and in some cases using steel wired armoured (SWA) cable outside is the easy answer to get power across the house.

The new rules on RCD protection are also a problem with wires buried in the wall or floor. And most FCU with RCD are of the active type so need to be easy assess to reset as any brown out will cause them to trip. And with Part P some one will be checking so it has to be right if you want the completion certificate.

In real terms although you can work through the local authority building control (LABC) the costs of hiring test equipment and paying the LABC which will likely be over £200 means likely it will be better to get an electrician who is a member of a scheme to do the work.

So I would say first get an electrician who is a scheme member to give a quote and see what he suggests. Then price up parts required. Then decide if it's really worth the effort to DIY for the money saved if any.

masonst0rm
Labourer
Labourer

by masonst0rm » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:32 am

Hope diagramme blow is better and explains my thinking.... getting an electrician in to do job but just after if this is achieveable without major work to get wires in from garage. Well aware of part P regulations .

ring main socket
|
|
|
junction box
| |
| |
(bath) (under floor heating approx 300W)
(13 amp 30Mamp
2.5 twin&earth
with IP55 joint box)

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:20 pm

[quote="masonst0rm"]Hope diagramme blow is better and explains my thinking.... getting an electrician in to do job but just after if this is achieveable without major work to get wires in from garage. Well aware of part P regulations .

ring main socket
|
|
|
junction box
| |
| |
(bath) (under floor heating approx 300W)
(13 amp 30Mamp

MASONSTORM

As you r aware of the part p regs , i am sure your electrician would be able to advise you
further as he would have done a site vist for you, and will give you appropiate guideance

BLAKEY1963

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:29 pm

There are was and means of making the connection outside the bathroom, which will mean that the work would not become notifiable.
Does your existing installation have RCD protection at the board and if it does, is the ring protected by this?

masonst0rm
Labourer
Labourer

by masonst0rm » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:50 am

the ring is RCD protected at the board... currently no mains in bathroom at all (except lighting), open to any ideas of doing this as easy as possible (without ripping half of house to pieces) but meeting reg's as nessesary...

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:22 am