BATHROOM ELECTRICS
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

bmpnorfolk
Labourer
Labourer

BATHROOM ELECTRICS

by bmpnorfolk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:35 am

I'm starting a new post following ericmarks advice that adding a reply to an existing thread might reduce visibility though much of query relates to supplementary bonding and his very helpful reply almost puts my mind at rest but I'd rather check twice than have to undo installations at a later date

I am fitting out a bathroom in a largely self built extension, strangely I'm informed(by building control officer) that because it is a "very old planning permission" they cannot insist on adherence to the latest regs but I want to follow best practice.

Water to all All the appliances in the bathroom are fed via plastic pipe of plastic pipe, only the reqired metre nearest to the boiler being in copper some of this run enters the bathroom but none is exposed "without use of tools".

All supplies to the bathroom are protected by 30ma RCBO trips. I am assuming on this basis that supplementary bonding is not only unnecessary but undesirable is this so?

A particular question concerns the jacuzzi installation. This is fed by a dedicated circuit (again 30ma RCBO protected) it is isolated by a dipole switch outside the bathroom. All cabling runs under the bath in a space "not accesible without tools" so, I assume, regarded as "out of zone". The bath is fibreglass but stands on a metal frame which also carries the pump unit. Question is should I bond the frame and/or the taps/controls of the jacuzzi to earth and /or are there any other precautions I sould take?

Another query regarding some LED low voltage lights. If I drive these via a SELV LED driver mounted within a fully glanded IP66 enclosure again in the underbath space. I'll fit the 12v supply with non standard connections to avoid inadvertent connection to a non SELV source and fit the connections within the water tight enclosure. In this circumstance is it OK to mount the lights in Zone 1 positions?

It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:36 pm