Bathroom Extractor Fan Installation - Should I Seal Also?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alig31
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bathroom Extractor Fan Installation - Should I Seal Also?

by alig31 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:44 am

Hi all,

I am in the process of fitting an extractor fan in the bathroom which was previously fully tiled, including over the air brick, so no ventilation or extraction.

I intend to vent the extractor through the cavity of the air brick but was looking for some advice as to if I should seal around the fan exhaust blocking the rest of the cavity of the air brick, so when the fan is not running (humidity and timer settings, can also be switched manually) the air brick would be sealed so no back ventilation as the fan has a shutter. just thinking forward for the winter as I don't really want a breeze blowing through when it is cold although difficult to think of this in the sunshine.

Thanks in advance

Allan

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Bathroom Extractor Fan Installation - Should I Seal Also?

by proptech » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi Allan

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you need to insert a duct through the wall, slightly angled down to the outside. This would then be set in mortar, or sealed in some way. The fan would then be fitted, and an outside vent.
the duct is often available as a kit with the fan, or can be purchased separately.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1