Bathroom Extractor Fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MattR
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bathroom Extractor Fan

by MattR » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:57 am

I have recently moved into a house, which is approx 10 years old. I am looking to replace the ceiling mounted bathroom fan, which currently operates from a pull cord in the bathroom. I have purchased a new ceiling mounted fan from B&Q (model number NDX100BC). The current connections into the fan are simply live and neutral and the connections in the pull down cord terminal are live, Neutral and earth. I am looking to extend the cable by approx 1 metre and channel it down the plasterboard to a surface mounted switch located outside the bathroom.

Can I use a simple junction box to connect the existing wires (live, neutral and earth - which are currently wired to the pull down cord terminal) and run a length of identical cable from the junction box to the back of a surface mounted switch?

The bathroom light is also connected to a ceiling pull down cord. Would it be possible to do the same thing and maybe channel both cables down the wall and connect them to a 2-gang switch with one switch operating the bathroom light and the other switch operating the bathroom fan?

It does recommend using a double pole-isolating switch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Matt

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi mattR the principle is fine but remember ANY electrical work in a bathroom is covered by Bldg regs part p so either got to pay a fee to LABControl or use a registered leckie!, regards
SPARX

MattR
Apprentice
Apprentice

by MattR » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:31 pm

Thanks for the reply sparx,

Could you please explain to me what a double pole isolating switch is and how it would be different from using a normal switch?

Would it be acceptable to carry out the work and have it immediately checked by a qualified leckie?

Cheers

Matt

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:35 pm

Hi agn. D.P. =both Live & Neutral go through a 'pole' of the switch, eg a standard light sw is 'single pole' breaking only the Live conductor, a 'fan isolator' sw. which is used when there is a timer over-run fan fitted is a
'triple pole' device breaking L, sw-L, & N for total circuit isolation.
I'm afraid just 'getting it checked' does not comply with regs. legally either sparkie who can self-certify must do the work or you must pay the OTT fee to LABC, sorry, regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:36 pm