Bathroom extractor wireing green wood Switch live
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thesmuggler
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom extractor wireing green wood Switch live

Post by thesmuggler » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:07 pm

[color=blue]Bathroom extractor wireing[/color]

Greenwood Airvac S90SVIHT Extractor Fan Humidistat
I want to replace a basic bathroom fan with the above so it comes on / off with the light as the other one did,

from the cieling there is 4 wires, all the old fan had was
1x brown and 1x grey wire with a blue sleeve, 1x black wire (not conected)
and the Earth, the brown and the grey with blue sleeve were the only wires connected apart from the earth>> and that fan came on & off when the light
was put on. What I need to find out is of the Brown and the grey with blue sleeve and the Black which one is the (SL) swith live
as at the mo I have the brown connected as the SL and its only coming on via the pull cord, I was thinking maybe the black is the SL
on the greenwood fan i have 3 wires to connect LIVE NEUTRAL AND SL
Have I got this wired wrong
Gerry[size=18][/size]

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:34 am

When three core cable is used on single phase systems the cable colours do not follow a standard brown is Line and Blue is neutral and all wires should be sleeved brown or blue there is no special colour for switched line or permanent line (loop) this http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Images5/LIGHTS.JPG give example of how all lights are wired but colours could be different.
Eric

thesmuggler
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks for your help and pics

Post by thesmuggler » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:41 pm

[quote="ericmark"]When three core cable is used on single phase systems the cable colours do not follow a standard brown is Line and Blue is neutral and all wires should be sleeved brown or blue there is no special colour for switched line or permanent line (loop) this http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Images5/LIGHTS.JPG give example of how all lights are wired but colours could be different.
Eric[/quote]

I am still trying to find the switch live, so I can operate the fan from the light pull cord Help!!!!!!

thesmuggler
Labourer
Labourer

Post by thesmuggler » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanks for your help ind pics, however I'm still looking for the switch live
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:01 am

You did not say your fan was 12 volt incorporating humidistat control & timer with extra low voltage (SELV).
Greenwood do show how to wire see http://www.greenwood.co.uk/product_deta ... roduct=S90
There is of course no point in using a 12 volt fan and mounting the controller with the fan whole idea is to keep the 230 volt parts out of the bathroom and the controller would most likely be mounted in the loft next to ceiling rose.
At the ceiling rose there should be no problem identifying cables.
Maybe I should have Googled the fan info before but I would have expected you to have said when it is 12 volt.
Eric

thesmuggler
Labourer
Labourer

Post by thesmuggler » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:05 pm

Thanks so much Eric I can see this will all be good now, a great fan for £27 ebay now i can find the switch live --Happy days

Gerry

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:19 am