Bathroom floor nightmare
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
firsttimer
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom floor nightmare

by firsttimer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:56 pm

Hello all
I am in the throws of refurbing a house. I ripped up the lino in the bathroom today ready for electrics underneath to find that there are no fllorboards and the whole thing was clad in plywood... thing is, it had gone rotten and while pulling it up for the sparkie to does his 1st fix, most of the pieces fell apart!

I am tearing out the bathroom this week ready for the new one but need to put a new floor down... does anybody have any views on what would be best to use? i was thinking plywood followed by tile backer board, but i don't know if this will solid enough. i don't really want to floor board it as i think mdf or similar may be easier? and i can't afford for the floor to raise too much above the joists as i have a sloping roof!

any ideas?!?!?!

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:38 pm

18mm minimum thickness sheet Marine Ply, sealed top and bottom screwed to every sealed joist at 250mm centres.
followed by backer board secured as recommended by manufacturer.

Try to lay ply and backer board in as few pieces as possible.
(preferably one - floor area allowing!)

Tile floor using flexible and waterproof adhesive and grout.

Total finished floor thickness including tiles should be 40-45mm.

Regards.

ALDA.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:42 pm

DO NOT USE MDF OR YOU WILL BE IN A WORLD OF TROUBLE!!!!!

firsttimer
Labourer
Labourer

by firsttimer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:12 am

many thanks alda... luckily i have made my measurements taking into account a 3 - 4cm thick floor!
cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:13 pm