Bathroom Inlet Vent to Prevent Extractor fan Creating Vacuum
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

Pepper
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Inlet Vent to Prevent Extractor fan Creating Vacuum

by Pepper » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:48 am

Hello all,

We bought a lower ground (old Victorian) flat last year which has quite a few issues with damp & condensation. Especially in the bathroom which has outside walls on 3 sides.

We have recently had a new bathroom put in and although the builder put in an extractor fan there is still a lot of condensation clinging to the walls & ceilings after showering (literally dripping). As a starting point I'm getting our builder to replace the extractor with a much more powerful one (~77 litres a second), but I also think the problem is that there is no inlet vent & the gap round the door is quite tight so any extractor is essentially trying to create a vacuum.

We have 2 options with the inlet vent:
1) Have one at the bottom of the door (pros: air coming in will be warm)
2) Have one in the wall that leads to the outside (pros: looks better, further away from extractor fan, more flexibility with size - can make it bigger)

Our preference I think is to have one in the wall, but any advice on this (or with bathrooms and damp/condensation in general) would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:26 am