Bathroom light/fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Oz
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom light/fan

Post by Oz » Mon May 05, 2008 11:11 pm

I’m renovating my downstairs bathroom. It will have a shower cubicle, basin and WC. Currently there is a central light with a pull cord switch and an extraction fan with a separate pull cord switch. The fan is ceiling mounted and the pipe goes to a vented roof tile.

The fan is wired like this…. A cable comes from a junction box, into another junction box. From there one cable goes to the switch, the other to the fan.

The light is wired like this…. A cable comes from the switch to the light. A cable goes from the light to another light. A third cable goes from the light to a junction box above another light.

I would prefer to have just one switch to operate a fan and light at the same time. How would I connect them? What type of fan would be best? In my upstairs bathroom I have a light/fan unit but it doesn’t seem powerful enough.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Oz

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed May 07, 2008 1:53 pm

There are special fans with timers in that work on light switch but run on when lights are turned off for so many seconds just been big splash in trade mag about one incorrectly fitted and wired that caused a house to burn down I expect this is why from July 1st they need RCD protection. The more air they move the more noise they make so not sure if powerful ones are a good idea especially if someone uses loo in middle of the night?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:50 pm