Bathroom lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
allegedly
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom lighting

Post by allegedly » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:26 am

Hello guys, new user here. I've read all the pertinent posts and cant find the answer to my question, which is ;
I'm fitting a new bathroom suite and new tiling and want to replace the single light with flush spots. As I live in the middle of nowhere (next to Ben Nevis in NW Scotland ) I'm unable to visit any showrooms to see what number of light fittings would be sufficient for a room 1.5 x 3 m with a window at the end of one of the longer walls.
I'd planned to use two rows of three 20w spots from one transformer but when I called into a local supplier, he said that may not be enough light, leaving dark areas. He suggested two rows of three 35w using two 105w transformers. He also said most people use 50w lights. Obviously, the spot over the bath will be of a higher IP rating, probably a shower rated fitting.
This has left me a bit confused so any guidance or tips would be gratefully receieved.
Thanks Rob

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:59 pm

I have 4 x 50w spots in my bathroom about same size and even when three bulbs have blown there is still plenty of light. But mine a pods if you use lights sunken into the ceiling the shadows can be a problem and in my parents house with 3 x 50w in larger room once one blows you do notice lack of light. The angle of light from the small spots is very narrow and if shining against white wall are then spread but shining onto dark floor it is just absorbed. bathrooms where the black granite tiles are used need lots more light.

Also there are some very strict laws in Scotland that make our Part P in England and Wales seem tame living in North Wales I have never really studied what you are allowed to do but it may be worth checking on.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:33 pm