Bathroom Mirror Infrared Sensor for LED Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BruceAJM
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Mirror Infrared Sensor for LED Light

Post by BruceAJM » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:42 pm

I have installed a mirror in my bathroom; it has built in LED lights that are activated by an infrared sensor.
The mirror is installed alongside a wall cupboard with about a 50mm gap between the cupboard and the sensor. When the mirror is in place, the infrared sensor does not work. But if I move it away from the other cupboard then the sensor works fine.
Bizarre problem - at least it seems so to me. Is it to do with the proximity to the other cupboard? Is it because the other cupboard has mirrored surfaces on the side (I've tried a piece of card over the mirror in case that resolved, but no difference.
Neither seems to make sense!
Does anyone have any insights or ideas? Thank you for any help or advice that anyone can provide.
I may be able to move the sensor to the other side of the mirror, if I use due care, drill a small hole in the metal frame, etc. … …

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom Mirror Infrared Sensor for LED Light

Post by Mr White » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Pictures or a diagram would help in this instance. As you are there, you can see that of which you mention, we can not, hence the request for pictures.

BruceAJM
Labourer
Labourer

Post by BruceAJM » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Hello Mr White,

Thanks for the response. Please see diagram attached. Look forward to hearing from you.

Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:22 pm

A picture speaks a thousand words.

Your sensor is blind.

It can not see because of the cupboard is in the way.

But two things make me wonder.

1) Is the mirror upside down? (Most of the time a PIR sensor is above the item looking down, yours appears to be down looking up)

2) It may be the sensor has the ability to be rotated? (Doubtful, but I am curios)

BruceAJM
Labourer
Labourer

Post by BruceAJM » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:59 pm

Thank you Mr White. No the mirror is the right way up, with the fixings it could only go that way, or it could have been landscape - which would of course change the sensors position.
But for form’s sake, I want to keep it portrait, so will have to try and relocate the sensor. There is sufficient length in the flex to the sensor to do this, so I need only drill a new location hole. But of course drilling near mirrors holds some risk of mishap, so I wanted to check my options before ploughing on with that.
Thanks for your help and advice
Bruce

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:35 pm