Bathroom paint blistered down to plaster, advice needed for repainting please!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lauren_123
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom paint blistered down to plaster, advice needed for repainting please!

by Lauren_123 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:54 pm

Hi, I painted my bathroom with bathroom paint during the first lockdown. This was several weeks after painting it with a matt paint that I hated. Before that it was just magnolia from when it the house was built. About 6 months or so later the paint began to blister down to the plaster. Presumably because there was moisture in the walls and the bathroom paint created a seal which caused it to blister underneath. Anyway, I want to repaint the bathroom in a new colour. How do I go about fixing the blistered areas and making sure the same doesn't happen with the new colour please? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
20220413_115142.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom paint blistered down to plaster, advice needed for repainting please!

by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:47 pm

Hi lauren_123,
For the plastered walls - scrape off all loose paint and work around all edges using a filler knife. Check you have good adhesion around the bare areas by applying sticky tape to the surrounding paint and pull it off at fight angles to the wall. Sand the wall to blend in any sharp edges. Paint the bare areas with a mist coat, colour doesn’t matter and leave for a week or so. If all is ok paint as usual.
You may have to strip or sand what looks like a timber framing before repainting.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 am