Bathroom Spotlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MOBY
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Spotlights

Post by MOBY » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi there!

my bathroom light with bayonette bulb, is going to be replaced with a double headed spotlight, I see under the spotlight housing the plastic box that the wires are screwed into, which are lettered (L for live etc), however, the ceiling light which is quite old I guess, has two grey cables coming out of the ceiling - each with two wires: black and red. So, there are 4 wires in total - and I assume one cable is connected to the light-pull and the other to the mains (this as far as my technical knowledge goes). so, there ar 4 wires, from two cables, but only 3 points on the new spotlight. what do i do....other than move into a tent??

help meeeeee

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:04 am

Hi MOBY,
Firstly I most advise you to read part p on Docs projects page.
but the answer to your question is:
The two reds are connected together:
The two blacks one should have a red tag or sleeve on it, are connect either side of you lights; black with sleeve/tag to brown/live side
and the other black to blue/neutral side of light.
all earths connected together in earth terminals, unless light is double insulated, look for symbol square inside a square.
remember be safe and isolate electrics before carrying out work.
KB

MOBY
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Spotlight!!!!

Post by MOBY » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi KB

Thanks for that, I read it, taped the wires as advised, put it all together and visualised everything you said. Wallah! it works and all safe, and what's more the light switch pull cord turns the light on and off...sio I guess we did something right....MODERN technology.

Thanks for the advice you've made my day, and this website has been great too.

have a great weekend.
regards
moby

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:13 pm

MOBY,
Glad to be of help, good to know you have everything working!
You too enjoy your weekend.
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:01 am