Bathroom Sub Floor Should I use Plywood on Chipboard?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DeeBee
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Sub Floor Should I use Plywood on Chipboard?

by DeeBee » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:48 am

My mum is getting her bathroom refitted. She's now got a shower enclosure instead of a bath, and she's had her toilet and sink replaced.

The flooring in the bathroom has historically been an issue as it bangs loudly (it didn't creeks or squeak, but bangs), which is not good when someone is trying to sleep in the adjoining bedroom.

Part of the carpet has been lifted in order to remove the bath and fit the shower enclosure. It can be seen that the subfloor is chipboard.

My mum is replacing the carpet with vinyl.

Given the issues with the chipboard "banging" when people walk on it, the fact that chipboard is meant to be "crap" and the fact that she wants to lay vinyl, would it not have been better to rip up the chipboard and put down one or two layers of plywood?

The shower enclosure has though already been fitted on this chipboard. The intention is to put 9mm plywood on top of the chipboard to form the sub floor for the vinyl.

Should this be ok? Should the plywood be screwed/nailed to the joists? - will this eliminate the banging noise associated with the chipboard?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom Sub Floor Should I use Plywood on Chipboard?

by welsh brickie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:10 am

I would screw and countersink screws into the chipboard first. then glue and screw 6mm ply on top

DeeBee
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bathroom Sub Floor Should I use Plywood on Chipboard?

by DeeBee » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:34 pm