Bathroom tiling problem
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fleur de Lis
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom tiling problem

by Fleur de Lis » Fri May 15, 2009 3:31 pm

About 3 years ago I paid a local builder to refurbish the main bathroom. This included replacing the ceramic tiles. I am now finding that the upper rows are falling off the wall. In some instances the adhesive has not stuck to the tiles whilst in others the adhesive has not stuck to the uperr section of the wall which was previously painted. I assume that in the latter instance a bonding agent was required. Is this correct or should the paint have been stripped back to the plaster? Any advice welcome.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri May 15, 2009 11:13 pm

To assess if a painted surface can be tiled the "sellotape" method is used. Press piece of tape firmly (sticky side down of course) into wall. Leave for 30 minutes. Rip it off. If paint comes off with tape then it needs stripping. If tape comes off and leaves paint firmly attached to wall then you'll be OK as long as the tiles aren't too heavy.

Use an acrylic primer in any event.

Cheers

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

help at hand

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:00 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:13 pm