Bathroom Wiring Help and Renewing Ceiling Roses
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tonyscruton
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Wiring Help and Renewing Ceiling Roses

by tonyscruton » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:25 am

I have bought a new house and so far successfully wired the replacement ceiling lights myself, replacing the ceiling roses with light fittings, but I have come to my bathroom light and I am struggling there are far more wires than before, it is wired into a timed delay fan also,

The people that have moved out left it with no bulb and when I subsequently proceeded to put a bulb into the light its switches on fire and doesn't trip out but when I switch the light off it just dims and flickers which leads me to believe that the feed for the time delay fan is in the wrong place

I have extracted the wires and capped them off for now exactly as they came out of the rose, this is because it doesn't trip out that way.

Please help
Attachments
Wires as they came out of the original rose
Wires as they came out of the original rose
wires 4.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 1573 times

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom Wiring Help and Renewing Ceiling Roses

by ericmark » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:20 pm

[attachment=0]lights.jpg[/attachment]If the system is working you should see how the fan is wired.

LED bulbs designed to dim will allow a small current to flow without switching on, this is the current needed to work the electronics, but those not designed to dim will store up any small flow then once voltage is enough flash, with the fan the cable has an inductive and capacitive link which puts a small amount of current through cable even when switched off, so likely all you need is a dimmable bulb and it will work fine.
Attachments
lights.jpg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:06 am