Baxi boilers any good?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

PhantomWA3
Labourer
Labourer

Baxi boilers any good?

by PhantomWA3 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:06 pm

We need to replace our boiler which is a Worcester Bosh 9.24 we have had a quote from a local firm and they have said £1,250 for parts and labour and they will fit a Baxi condenser, are Baxi any good and is that fair quote or we could get a Worcestershire for an extra £200?

Please help,

Thanks.

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:55 pm

Just had a baxi fitted last month, its been fantastic, no problems from it what soever. Mian reason for buying was the parts asr easy and cheap to get/install. The more complex the boiler the more the parts servicing.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:03 pm

I've made my feelings very clear on this forum before about Baxi, I think they are a pile of junk. I've recently sold 5 Baxi Megaflow 24HE system boilers (the customer insisted they wanted Baxi) and 3 failed on first firing. There is a PCB problem and Baxi are aware of it, but true to there usual form decided to keep quite about it. The full name of Baxi is Baxi Potterton and BBC watchdog recently high lighted a similar problem on Potterton boilers. As for Worcester they are over priced with a misserly warranty period. Want real value for money, Viessmann type 100 or 200 series boilers or Alpha boilers both have up to a 5 year parts & labour warranty. With Viessmann giving a 10 year warranty on the heat exchanger. Of the 300+ Viessmann boilers we have sold this year, one failed to fire on first installation, the contactor phoned Viessmann just after 10am and engineer was on site and the boiler sorted before lunch time the same day. That's what I call service. Check out the websites.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:55 pm

Reasonably priced, reasonable pices for spare parts and easy to work on - so fair labour costs.

I'd recommend baxi as I've installed, serviced and repaired them. Like anything else some do breakdown but I know someone that has had a Baxi 105e for about 4 years now with not a single fault or abit of bother.

The Baxi Platinum now comes with 5 year warranty.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:48 am

And Oh boy do you pay for the extra warranty on the Baxi Platinum over £200 + vat more than a Viessmann boiler. The Baxi Platinum is basicaly the same boiler as the Baxi Duotec/ Megaflo boilers, just more expensive to cover the extended warranty. The Baxi 105e and it's sister boilers 105e instant 80e & 80e instant where very good boilers as they where in fact the old Alpha Ocean boilers rebadged so had been around for some time before Baxi adopted them and even improved on them. Baxi had to adopt them quick as the previous combi range the Baxi Bahama was a total disaster for them and I do not think any one will defend that particular boiler. It's your money however and the best bit of advice I can give you is that what ever boiler you choose, I would suggest it's a band A boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger, cast aluminium heat exchangers will be attacked by the acidic condensate and will have a much shorter life span than stainless steel. The better the quality of stainless steel the longer the life span of the boilers heat exchanger. Do the research now and save a lot of money in the future.

PhantomWA3
Labourer
Labourer

by PhantomWA3 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:52 pm

They have suggested if we want a Worcester they will fit a Worcester 24i Junior are these any good?

Thank you for your help its more appreciated.

PhantomWA3
Labourer
Labourer

by PhantomWA3 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:12 pm

We have gone for the Worcester 24i junior.

Thanks.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:58 pm

24i one year warranty & aluminium heat exchanger not a good mix

PhantomWA3
Labourer
Labourer

by PhantomWA3 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:33 pm

Don’t Worcester have a 10yr warranty on heat exchangers?

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:50 pm

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/index. ... _id=231037

Yes I stand corrected Worcester have recently increased their warranty but visit the above web site to check out the full terms & conditions. Note the warranty is only against faulty workmanship and not down to the natural weakness of aluminium to corrosion. Now check out Viessmann warranty which is against the unit failing with in 10 years. The differance in wording is small but significant.

2 year warranty on remainder of Worcester boiler is based on a number of conditions one being.

" that the appliance was correctly commissioned and that where appropriate, the first annual service has been carried out to the satisfaction of BBT Thermotechnology UK Ltd"

Other than booking a Worcester engineer at a charge to inspect the first service how do you prove this?

Even with a two year warranty it's still well over priced with a misserable warranty period.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:12 am

In Scotland, The Scottish Executive is installing FREE TO PENSIONERS, and others, Potterton Promax 28 HE Plus condensing combi boilers, under their Central Heating Programme, delegated to the admin by Scottish Gas, working from a Manchester telephone number.
It seems like a lot of people are getting a "retirement gift" of a lot of grief.
This boiler can be found at £711 inc Vat, (discounted), but high quality boilers with stainless-steel condenser heat-exchangers retail at £1500.
Obviously, bulk discounting will make the Potterton very attractive to the accountants, and poor pensioners can't shout very loud, after all, it IS a gift!!
A direct enquiry revealed that the "poor" pensioners are not permitted to contribute to an upgrade in boiler specification. No prizes are offered to those readers who have guessed why such intractibility exists!!

Of course, younger people would be very happy to replace boiler parts every couple of years, but older folk would prefer "fit and forget" levels of quality. ----- After all, that is the reason the British car and motor-cycle industry was destroyed by reliable foreign products.
On the other hand, pensioners qualify for free prescriptions of Valium!!

Bay Plumbing
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Bay Plumbing » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:06 pm

[b]ANYONE REMEMBER THE WATCHDOG PROGRAMME ABOUT BAXI POTTERTON-I THINK THAT SAID ALL THAT IT NEEDED TO.

MARK[/b]

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:11 am

After reading many opinions on a Potterton-specific site, it seems that only one Potterton range was a source of major complaint, and it had its PCB on the side panel. One person stated that the Promax HE+ range was not prone to such problems.
It seems that Potterton have been issuing PCB's like smarties to owners.
Both Baxi and Potterton offer boilers which are fitted with stainless-steel heat-exchangers, at a cost.

paul77
Apprentice
Apprentice

Help

by paul77 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:20 pm

At the moment we have a vokera boiler in our kitchen it's dead so we need to replace it.

Atm we have had 3 quotes 2 fairly reasonable for either a baxi boiler or a vaillant boiler.

Googling the above boilers vaillant seem's to have the best review's other than price where as baxi have some really bad review's anyway to my question.

The bg man has just give us a massive quote for a worcester boiler and say's the reason for this is that our gas inlet pipe into the boiler is 15mm??? neither of the other guys we 've had quotes from have mentioned this...the bg guys says that the 15mm pipe would make a guarantee null and void???? is this right?

BTW he said we needed a 15mm inlet gas pipe for the boiler but it already has one????? and that was the reason for such a big price because he would have to run one through the floorboards upstairs along to the end of the house and back down into the kitchen please help :)

paul77
Apprentice
Apprentice

by paul77 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:57 pm

Sorry he said we needed a bigger pipe than the 15mm gas inlet we have although the other quotes never made mention of this and checking the specs in the brochure's they say ( the boiler where looking at getting) uses 15mm gas inlet.

The bg guy said that by using the 15mm with a new boiler it would null our guarantee though as i say the brochure specs say 15mm