Baxi Solo 2 50pf only lighting sometimes
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ash9
Labourer
Labourer

Baxi Solo 2 50pf only lighting sometimes

Post by Ash9 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi,

I'm having problems with my gas boiler, it is failing to light every couple of days. All the lights are coming on and it is clicking but it doesn't sound as if there is any gas coming in. Normally it takes a few tries to start but you always hear the puff. The fan was changed in 2006 and I have just had the PCB changed last month at a cost of 500 so I don't want to pay another call out and service fee so soon.

Any help please I'm Freezing!!

Heatray
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Heatray » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:43 pm

bad luck ash9 6 tests you carry out before anyone changes the pcb and £500 was a rip-off.
Don't want you getting into trouble with on line gas advice but there is a simple test you can carry out without the requirement of disrupting the path of gas.
Your symptom is one of blocked pilot.
Turn the boiler off.
pull off the small cover at the bottom exposing the controls and the two screws that hold on the boiler cover.
Boiler cover lifts. there are Two lugs at the top rear of case which have to be cleared and pull down at the same time the flimsy bottom to clear the grey plastic control box (left) do the reverse when completed
4 sprung clips, two top two bottom that wrap round the front of combustion box. Remove cover.
Up at the fan. Pull the maroon plastic connector strip on the fan wires apart.
Get hold of the fan or any part of the assembly and wiggle the whole assembly towards you like you're pulling out a draw. The fan and the front plate are all connected together and there are no screws to undo.
put it aside.
Soft brush and vacuum the pilot assembly. Maybe invest in an aresole of compressed air. Bicycle pump perhaps.
Reinstate in reverse
No harm done in trying, You havn't disturbed the path of gas
good luck

zambo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by zambo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:13 pm

I have one of these boilers and it's being giving me problems on and off for a couple of years.

Current symptoms

When boiler comes on it sparks for about 30 secs, and then the pilot comes on, but the flame looks small, and looking through the window it appears that it is being blown around. It also looks like there is another flame just above it. The pilot flame doesn't seem to be reaching the burner. If I tap the boiler it ignites. I can also ignite the boiler by restricting some of the air out by putting my hand over part of the flue on the outside wall

Sounds to me like there is too much air around the pilot. Is it posible that I have a faulty door seal?

I have had several engineers look at the boiler but no one can fix it yet. Had a new fan gasket a few months back, and also new pilot assembly and gas valve a while ago.

When the boiler is warm or hot, and then comes back on, the pilot flame looks good and it ignites immediately.

Any advice would be appreciated.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1