Bay window leak and plywood sill
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CornishJon
Labourer
Labourer

Bay window leak and plywood sill

Post by CornishJon » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here and would appreciate any advice..

I have a bay window (this style might be termed bow window).

I recently found it had been leaking for some time and completely rotted the plywood underneath the plastic interior sill (no idea how long it had been going on for!). I removed it all, spent a very long time diagnosing the ingress and found the cause was poor sealing on the outside (I bought house 18 months ago - windows were installed 5 years ago).

Anyway, I pretty sure I've sorted the leaking by redoing all the exterior sealant... but i'm still nervous to put it all back (including new plywood) in case there is any additional small leak or condensation.

My question is A. Could I, as an added measure use waterproof expanding foam in the gap between under the window and fibreglass? Is that a stupid idea?

B. Can I use something other than plywood for the sill, something more waterproof? I was wondering if I could use insulating board? There is white plastic covering that goes on top it's just the board under that worries me with dampness/chance of rot.

Thanks in advance for any help
Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bay window leak and plywood sill

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:19 pm

Hi cornishjohn
Buy some white upvc faced board and use this for the cills. You may have to use facia board which is thicker. Bed this on foam with packers and weights on top while the foam sets.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:55 am