bedroom sliding door wardrobe
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ptapps
Labourer
Labourer

bedroom sliding door wardrobe

by ptapps » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:43 pm

I'm in the planning stages of wanting to fit a 4 door mirrored sliding door system across my bedroom. it will span the chimeny breast and two alcoves. I'm not sure at this stage if you buy everything as a kit or is it just the track and doors. Do i need to build a framework and what is the best way of fixing the head rail across the room as the doors are not high enough to reach the ceiling. Is there an instruction booklet available that will give the answers required. Would be grateful for some advice :).

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:45 pm

Hi. Not quite sure what you think ought to come in the kit. In the ones I’ve seen you get the doors, the track and assorted fixings etc. The usually also come with instructions that at least give you a sporting chance!

Basically you build a framework to create an aperture that the doors will fit into. It sounds like this means padding out the top at least. It may or may not also mean the sides depending on aesthetical or sizing considerations.

Padding out the top is usually a simple matter of building the right depth framework down from the ceiling and covering it with plasterboard and plaster, or if you want a DIY job, some kind of wood, MDF etc. You then screw the top rail to the bottom of the framework. Unless you have very large gap to fill, building the frame of 2x2 screwed into the ceiling joists (not just the plasterboard!) and the sides of the alcove would do. It should look kinda like a ladder on its side before it’s covered.

If the ceiling joists run the wrong way you should fix battens between them to give you something firm to screw the frame to. You don’t want your last view on earth to be of your own face as the mirrored door topples onto you!

ptapps
Labourer
Labourer

bedroom sliding doors

by ptapps » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:32 am

hi oddbod.
thanks for your reply. its kinda of getting clearer.
Another question please.
I'm actually going to screw that "ladder" framework you suggested into a wooden joist that runs the same way as the mirror doors will :D Ive been advised that if i do that I will need to brace that joist with others in the roof to help support the extra weight from the doors. (easier said than done coz the attic has been boarded out) What would you advise? Are the doors supported by the top rail or is all the weight taken by the bottom rail??
cheers

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi. To be honest I'd be very surprised if you needed to brace the joist.

Anything is possible, but you'd soon find out if it needed bracing as you'd notice a deflection.

The last mirrored doors I fitted took the weight on the lower rails, with the upper guide wheels spring loaded and for guidance. It's usually fairly obvious where the weight goes just by looking at the instructions.

Finally the "ladder" itself will provide a good degree of bracing anyway. If you are concerned just use a length of 4x2 as the side of the ladder you screw to the ceiling joist. That'll guarantee it goes nowhere!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:48 am