DIY Doctor

Belt and Braces gas tidy up.

Postby supershuttle » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Things have changed a lot since I installed my own central heating and gas fires 30 years ago - I still live in the same house and have survived so I must have done something right (although I guess an army of CORGIs or whatever they are now called will say no "you've been lucky"). Nevertheless, today I have removed one of the aforementioned gas fires and replaced it with a simple electric fire. I am not really happy that I have only cut the gas supply using the restrictor elbow - I think I may need to put a compression fitting to blank off where the feed to the fire was, is that the case? if so what's needed?

Or do I actually need a visit from a competent person? Although, I think I am more than able to complete this very simple job.

Appreciate any views - thanks.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:26 pm


Simply Build It

Postby plastic_man77 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:52 pm

@ supershuttle

Nobody on this site will explain to you how to complete illegal gas work, whether it's in your own home or not.

In answer to your question, yes, you do need a visit from a GasSafe Register engineer, because currently, you have disconnected your gas fire leaving the restrictor elbow in an unsafe manner.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics