Best book for installing new gas central heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markst
Labourer
Labourer

Best book for installing new gas central heating

by markst » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi

I am looking for a recommendation for the best book to buy on installing central heating. Most of the DIY books in Waterstones seem fairly vague and many seem to be out of date - no mention of using plastic piping etc.

I have seen the list of books which come up on the Projects part of this site but hopefully someone can tell me the one (or more than one) which they have found best.

Thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:40 am

Many years ago I fitted my own central heating as an electrician I did not think it could be that hard. Well it wasn't but I go radiator sizes well out. Downstairs cool and upstairs like an oven. I didn't allow for open plan of house I used the book. Since then the systems have progressed leaps and bounds with the temperature of return water being far more important and the radiator sizes as a result more critical. The TRV and condensation boiler design adding even more to the problem of selecting the correct system. If you are using gas as a fuel then getting someone to fit a boiler without doing whole job adds even more problems. And I haven't even touched on special systems like skirting heaters and Myson. Hot water is yet another problem. Do you go down the Combo line small and compact all in one unit. Or the main pressure tank with ability to add solar panels latter. How they all work with showers is also a consideration which is all connected with local water types (soft / hard) and pressures. If you can afford to rip it all out and start again when it fails to work as expected then all good fun but it you are short on cash it is a sure way to make you shorter. Second time around I will get someone in. I will study all the systems and I will not go for cheapest but a system to last 25 years so it will not be changed again in my live time.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1