DIY Doctor

Best Dimming LED Lighting System and Where do I buy it all?

Postby anthonyg » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:46 am

System = dimming warm-white LED bulbs and fully compatible dimming switches.

To replace our lovely existing system similar system with 60W incandescent pearl bulbs and one dimmer switch driving 3 bulbs.

Great control from very bright to very low with no flickering, with bulbs that last for a long time.

Is this even possible with LEDs?

If so, what brands, where do I buy it all, and for how much?
anthonyg
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Yes can be done, dimming switch manufacturers tend to publish a list of compatible bulbs, however I have found BA22d bulbs seem to work great, not had a problem with E14 either but tend to have 5 or 8 to a fitting.

With GU10 had flicker problem, and with G9 would not switch off had to add capacitor and flicker problem.

GU10 was not a problem, loads of GU10 around the house, just swapped them around until they worked, G9 however only one fitting used them, tried changing one bulb, no better, and a set of 5 bulbs around £15 and no guarantee it will work then, so would have 6 spare bulbs which since LED last a long time unlikely to use.

I am using electronic light switches not dimming switches, but have to use dimming bulbs. At to dimming the ambiance was due to the red glow as lights were dimmed, LED do not do that, so not the same.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!